Tuesday, May 15, 2012

Those Eyes

So, where was I? Rewind... I had just met this adorable guy and completely blew it by telling him my life story.  Honestly, I wasn't even sure what I wanted more,for it to work out or for it to end.  I was caught in a battle between what I longed for and what I felt I deserved.  I guess it didn't really matter anyway because I knew the damage had already been done.  That man with the most beautiful eyes I had ever seen went home and I wasn't sure if I would ever see him again.

Fast forward...20 years later I was sitting on the edge of my bed and when I looked up I was looking into those same beautiful eyes.  They still drew me in.  In fact they draw me in today as much as they ever did, if not more.  My dear friends, he stayed!  He actually stayed! I realize there's obviously a BIG gap in between, which I will indeed fill in, but from now on the man I speak of you will all know as my husband Chris (Christopher to me) and you will soon learn why I am always posting on FB about his amazingness and how grateful I am for him and who he is.  Alicia was my reason and he was soon to become my hope. 



Going back those 20 years I could not have been more excited when my phone rang the next morning and I was being asked to go out for lunch.  I will never forget our date over Chinese food, which I had never even had. I also won't forget ordering something that I had no idea what it even was and then proceeding to act like I liked it as I ate.  Despite the food, we laughed, we talked, we laughed some more and another date was already set.  I could not believe I was starting to date so soon and certainly was planning on anything but that.  

One date after another we finally went on the most fabulous date of them all.  He asked if he could take Alicia and I to see Beauty and the Beast.  Let me remind you, this is a 22 year old guy asking a soon to be divorcee on a date with her daughter (Cue Chris is amazing comments again).  When he showed up to pick us up he brought Alicia a gift and she instantly took a liking to him.  In fact, we could barely even watch the movie because of Alicia's talking (If you know Alicia, at least just act surprised). All the way through the movie she kept handing him her book asking him to read it to her.  She was smitten, I was smitten and I could tell he was too. 

So, there you have it, he didn't run away afterall, even when I tried to chase him away.  For the first time ever, someone seemed to value me.  And what I would soon learn was that it was going to be those beautiful eyes of his that I, for the first time ever, would begin to see myself. 

No comments:

Post a Comment