Tuesday, May 8, 2012

Honesty

My load was beginning to lighten, at least for the moment.  My soon to be ex-husband was in jail and there was no more looking over my shoulder.  I was beginning to do things on my own, still lost and empty as could be but yet still moving forward. Day by day I went to work, took care of Alicia and put one foot in front of the other.  Slowly wrapping my mind around this new life being carved out for me...which by the way turned out to be nothing like I was expecting!



I decided to go out for some fun one night with a friend. Being 21 and with new found freedom, my friend and I went out to Bleachers, a sports and karaoke bar.  For all those concerned, no, I was not going to be singing! We went out with no intentions other than a having a fun girls night...however, once again, this went nothing like I expected.  The minute I walked in the door I laid eyes on the cutest man I had ever seen.  I was very surprised by my reaction, trust me, the last thing on my mind was a man!  However, this man had truly captured my attention.  Strong, brown hair, amazing green/blue eyes and then to top it off he walks up to the mic and begins to sing. Not your drunken, country, bad karaoke kind of singing but instead he belts out Billy Joel's Honesty with this amazing voice. Ok girls, now I knew I was in trouble.  It was way too soon to be interested in another man.  This was the last thing I needed..right?

This incredibly cute guy proceeded to walk over to my table, sit down and begins to watch the basketball game... and get this... he started eating my fries!  Within minutes he had me laughing and the chemistry between us was instant. This man had such a sweet charm, a gentleness and quiet strength about him.  He was not being savvy or cheesy, he was just being who he was.  He was cute, hysterical and talented. Again, I knew I was in trouble. I did not want another relationship!! 


After laughing most of the night and enjoying one anothers' company, out of nowhere I suddenly went into self protection mode. I began to share with him my own rendition of honesty...which went something like this..."I'm in the middle of a divorce from an abusive man and I have a 1 year old daughter who means the world to me"! Bleh...there it was, the line that would for sure make him disappear.  A 21 year old divorcee with a kid...every 22 year old guys dream, huh? The threat of another relationship that was sure to lead to pain and heartache was over. Operation Relationship Sabotage was successfully accomplished!



Or so I thought...

No comments:

Post a Comment